The purpose of Graphic Design Studio I is to introduce the basic concepts, principles, and tools used in typography for visual communication. Conceptual and analytical thinking skills will be emphasized through projects and discussions. Design research and the process will be taught and utilized throughout the semester. Decision making for effective visual communication will be emphasized.
Projects in the course:
- Exercise 1. Classify typefaces that you find in daily life
- Exercise 2. Experimental typographic.
- Project 1. Design an abstract letterform.
- Project 2. Design a poster about the history of a typeface.
- Project 3. Design a logo, a poster, and a leaflet for an anniversary.
Fall 2017 @Iowa State University
Graduate teaching assistant, Instructor of record